The online gaming community is mourning two victims killed in a double shooting at a computer game tournament in Florida this weekend.

Elijah Clayton, 22, and Taylor Robertson, 27, were killed  at GLHF Gaming Bar at Chicago Pizza in downtown Jacksonville at about 1.30pm on Sunday

Fellow gamers paid tribute to the pair online, and circulated an image of the pair together with the caption “Champions forever”.

A fellow Madden NFL pro-gamer  wrote on Twitter  : “Rest In Peace @trueboy and @spotme way too young. Praying for everyone, no mother should ever have to bury their child. Spotme has a little kid that now will grow up without his dad.”

Another person wrote: “You were literally the nicest person ever! Thank you for making an impact on my life. I will never forget you! RIP”

Taylor was also an experienced gamer and had won $80,500 (£68,000) during his career. Hes EA sports profile  read: “Winner of last season’s Madden Classic, SpotmePlzzz has the skill to completely take over any Madden tournament.”

Mr Clayton was shot dead as he played against Wesley “Joe Rice” Gittens, who survived the incident.

He said: “It is an unthinkable tragedy that Taylor Robertson and Elijah Clayton, two of our top Madden competitors, lost their lives in this way.

“They were respected, positive and skilled competitors, the epitome of the players and personalities at the heart of our community.

“Their love of competition was evident through their participation in our events over the past few years.

“We are committed to supporting Taylor and Elijah’s families through this difficult time, and we send our deepest sympathies to their loved ones, to those injured yesterday, and everyone affected.”

David Katz has been named as the “disgruntled” gunman who killed two people and wounded nine others in the latest mass shooting in America.

The 24-year-old, wearing an army green jacket, killed himself after shooting rival games at a Madden NFL 19 video game tournament on Sunday afternoon

Eyewitnesses say Katz was angry and “snapped” after losing an intense game and being eliminated from the competition.

He was seeking revenge when he returned about 15-20 minutes later with a handgun.